Shopping in France, you will be spoiled for choice on good value things to buy.
Below is a list of items that can work out to be considerably cheaper than if you bought comparable items in the UK.
If you would like to add an item to this list, then please contact us.
- Cases of beer. In particular, French beer - like St Omer - can work out to be great value. Many supermarkets like Auchan in Calais have frequent mutlipack offers on locally produced lagers.
- Cigarettes in France can only be bought in tobacco shops, which can be hard to find. Prices are slightly cheaper than in the UK, and more so for cigars and rolling tabacco. Either purchase your cigarettes on your journey, or, for the best prices, venture out of the Calais area and across the Belgium border for bigger savings.
- Wine is excellent value in France, and a decent bottle of French table wine could cost as little as a pound per bottle. Non French wines should also be slightly cheaper than in the United Kingdom, but if you are a fan of French wine then the biggest savings can be made.
- Spirits (especially local brands) are cheaper in France. Remember to check prices before you leave the UK so you can find the cheapest price either on your journey or once you reach France.
- French cheeses are always good value. Our favourite is brie!
- Believe it or not, many household goods such as washing powder are much cheaper on the Continent.