Day Trips to France logo Day trips to france

License requirements

If you are taking your car to the Continent, it is vital that you understand what documentation is required of you. As a visitor to France, or any other European Community/European Economic Area Country, you will need to take your Great Britain (GB) driving licence with you. An international driving permit is not required within these Countries, but may be necessary when travelling outside of the E.C

The E.C countries

Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Republic of Cyprus, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovenia, Slovakia, Spain and Sweden.

Practical tips

  • Before your trip, ensure that your driving license does not expire within six months of your trip.
  • Ensure that you have a full UK driving license which covers the vehicle you will be driving - e.g. not simply a provisional license.
  • With photocard licenses, ensure that you take both parts of the license with you - i.e. the paper part as well as the photocard.
  • Keep a photocopy of both parts of your license (separate from the originals) which may speed up the time taken in replacement documents are necessary.